PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SA PC-12 Lost?!
Thread: SA PC-12 Lost?!
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2004, 09:35
perceval

Location: Laos,Kenya,Czech republic,IOM , Eire , France,CAR,Libya...etc..
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and yet...

To expand a bit on the previous ,
Another story :
Last week I was flying from sero to lake manyara , followed by a second airplane ; at about 12 NM we spotted an opposite Traffic converging , We tried to raise him on 118.2 with no success and basically turned to avoid him .No big deal-good VFR day , but i advised my colleagues behind .After a bit of trial and error they got him on Kili frequency , told him about the Common traffic frequency and avised him of their position .As he was going to Ngorongoro , The cpt of our second airplane asked him if he had been there before :no ; If he knew the runway :no ; Any infos about it at all : no,I'll see when i get there .So he (our cpt ) decided to give him a full briefing which was probably useful (ngoro can be a bit tricky) but passed all but unnoticed by the pilot of that aircraft (V5-... flown by an Afrikaans) .The only thanks was in the style of : I'll be OK.
Flying in a foreign airspace requires a bit of prep, in my opinion .At least when you reach your 1st point of entry , there is generally an AIP available , possibly local pilots hovering about ...
Asking a few questions never hurt .
The only thing we are all saying is ast Africa differs a lot from Southern Africa and It is not a big deal for a pilot to admit limited knowledge of a previously unknown area (we are not psychics after all ) .So , to all foreign pilots private and professionnals , please feel free to come and chat so we all have a better time up there next time , that's all .