PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - expedite climb
Thread: expedite climb
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2004, 08:37
trytofly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I've just come back from a 4 day trip, blasting in and out of LHR numerous times in my 320.
I've read all the responses here, and thank you all for them.

As said by one respondent, the fact that I have asked the question shows that there is room for interpretation or personal opinion on this matter. I guessed this to be the case, as I've seen many different pilots react differently to such a request to 'expedite', in the same A/C, same company, same SOP's. (Our flying manual doesn't cover the matter.) And all of your replies show the same to be true. Perhaps there is an issue to be addressed here ?
However, in our world of driving aeroplanes, even remaining within the bounds of our rigid SOP's, there is more than one way to skin the cat, certainly for certain parts of the operation at least. I guess this is the case for you guys too ?

Perhaps we all need to be aware of this, and keep it in mind when giving / receiving instructions to ' expedite.' One thing is true....in all the times I have been asked to expedite a climb or descent, the controller has never had the need to re - ask us to make it even 'more expeditious'.
To finish, all I can say to you all is that if you give such an intsruction, different pilots will react differently, due to the lack of precise definition etc. I don't think any will be so slow so as to cause you a problem though. ( hopefully )

regards to you all

trytofly