PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Orient Thai
Thread: Orient Thai
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2004, 22:16
topman999

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I know many will scorn me for this, but this is real good opportunity IMHO. This would be a true gem of a position for a recently retired captain or SFO from one of the mainline carriers in the west who has just left the 742/743. The pay is satisfactory and really, quiet frankly allows for a very high standard of living. Indeed, having spent 4 years based in bkk I can honestly say that such money being offered would facilitate even the most hedonistic of lifestyles. To put it into perspective... a QUALIFIED english teacher in Bkk at the moment is pulling in about 35000 - 40,000 B a month. This would allow for a reasonable standard of living - about the same as an average mid class western lifestyle. If you dont believe me, go ask them. The salary being offered by Orient Thai works out at 225,000 Baht Roughly speaking. So...go figure. I stand by it, despite previous counter replies, a good relatively centrally located apartment can be had for 10000 Baht a month. 15000 tops. I do know of at least 1 individual living close to the airport (about 15-20 km from Sukhumvit area) paying 6000Baht a month ( ~ $130 a month). This person has a 2 bedroom clean apartment with balcony and good security. This is the norm not the exception. And please, dont use on line apartment sites as guide prices - of course they are going to charge 4-5 more for next to the same thing. I am saying that with just a little bit of networking at a local level, excellent apartment rates can be had.
So frankly speaking, in summary, the type of person that these positions would most likely suit are
(a) A retired 50+ captain or FO retired (ideally no major committments like kids!) with a decent bit of money put aside, and who is interested in making some more money in wonderful tropical environment. The main motivation should not be the money but the lifestyle that can be had and also the ability to remain current on the 742/743 and enjoy a nice variety of flying.
(b) A 742/743 rated individual who is presently looking for work and cannot secure a flying job in their home country/continent.

If you fit either of the above criteria, particularly (a), DONT bash the pay issue. Chances are such pay will allow you to live the highest standards you have ever lived before.