PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australia to buy long-range missiles
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2004, 00:46
ozbiggles

Received 40 Likes on 13 Posts
Zap, sorry for the delay in reply and thankyou for your response. Even though we disagree on a few things its always good for a debate. For the record I spent 4 months in the MEAO (not in Iraq but did visit) in a position that gave me a very good idea of what was going on. In addition (i'm not giving away anything here, it was reported in the Australian last year) I saw the removal of a terrorist camp in Iraq as it happened. If I told you how I knew it was, that would be giving stuff away.
Even before I went and probably much more now I know weapons are a horrible way to deal with things. However they are a neceesary evil. Appeasment doesn't work, diplomacy might, weapons won't but they will get you back to diplomacy one day when the other side doesn't want to listen.
Back to the topic. People seem to have forgotten or not realise that Australia was only one incident from major conflict in Timor. One shooting incident because of bad maps did happen and if it wasn't for the incredibly brave actions of a few soldiers who did negotiate it could have developed from that or any other incident. This would have seen Australian troops in a foreign land with limited air support (how many AAR assest did we have/will we have in the future). Diplomacy might have worked, the ability to strike back (with missiles/ F111)would have only helped that diplomacy to save lives.
As for the reasons for the Iraq war I'm still examining them myself. However in the meantime, Saddam is gone, at least one training camp is gone, the Iraq team can beat us at soccer and we love it, they can get beaten in the next game, but go home as heros and not get beaten by their 'president'. I feel better with that than buying cheap oil of a madman.

Last edited by ozbiggles; 6th Sep 2004 at 01:15.