PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIO and control methods
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2004, 00:27
woxman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PIO and control methods

My apologies if this topic has been discussed before...However I noted in another forum that one method to control PIO involved "locking the stick" in position with the knees, at the appropriate pitch attitude, then working the problem from there.

Recently I noted a fatal accident in the ultralight aircraft which was in part due to PIO encountered by an inexperienced pilot. I very much doubt that he knew of PIO, let alone of how to control this flight condition.

Is there a method to control PIO if it occurs, given that I have done some flight testing of homebuilt aircraft in the past? I have always pre-briefed that I would first "reduce the gain" by shifting my grip closer to the base of the stick, then locking the stick once stabilised.

I understand that prevention of the PIO condition (W&B, pre-flight inspections, test planning etc.) is better than the cure...

Nevertheless, is there a universal accepted method of controlling this behaviour if it occurs?

I'd be interested if there are some test pilots out there that have experienced this flight condition, and could relate how they've dealt with it.

Regards

Woxman