PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - bmi strike?
Thread: bmi strike?
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2004, 20:33
High bmi!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuzzy.... take note!

Fuzzy112.
Either JETSET747 did hit a nerve or you are a highly strung individual looking at your your reaction to the posts. J747 was merely illustrating a point. Yes! We’re not stupid we know that BALPA has now negotiated to make contributions tax deductible but the basic rule still applies: BALPA membership contributions are essentially 1% of salary. You have to register to get the tax back.
As for being “an idiot” I can assure that J747 most certainly is not! Quite the opposite I can tell you!
By comparison to other unions BALPA membership is very expensive. Yes! I agree with you and other recent posts that it’s nice to have an organisation to represent you when in negotiations with the management, but not when they appear to be in the pockets of the management. This is typical Midland. The GMB union which represents the Ground Staff also gives the same impression and has apparently advised their members to now accept the 1.5% … sorry 4.5% pay cut over 2 years … offer. It looks like BALPA doesn’t want to fight on now either. I wonder why?
Has someone sold their soul? We’ll see. Watch this space!
As for the effectiveness of BALPA J747 is quite right. I can think of instances where good chaps have made mistakes or committed minor indiscretions and BALPA has basically said. “You did it? Well you’re on your own pal!”
Personally, I think that we’d be better served by a more militant union like the T&GWU. Have you ever noticed how the Engineers always seem to get what they want?
Fuzzy. May I finish by reminding you that this is a forum for Professional Pilots to exchange information and rumours. It is not a forum for speculating on whether someone is academically challenged nor to exchange insults. Like me, I feel that J747 was venting pent up frustration over the years of “bullyboy” tactics used by the Midland management and were expressed with minor errors and some generalisations in order to make a point
I feel that calling someone “the idiot that you are” was unbecoming of a Professional Pilot, if indeed you are one. May be it was a deliberately provocative remark by someone with a vested interest perhaps?