PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Router = cutting off frequently. Direct = no problems. Hmmmm
Old 5th Sep 2004, 18:56
Ray Darr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Router = cutting off frequently. Direct = no problems. Hmmmm

I'm being driven crazy by a 4-port SMC 2804 WBR Wireless Router. It has the latest firmware (just upgraded today), and looks nice...BUT...

I am just using the wired portion right now, and about every 45 mins to every hour or so, the connection gets cut off. I reset it by unplugging and re-plugging the electrical power to the router, then everything works fine again until the next cut-out, usually less than an hour later.

We live in a smaller low-rise that has a network of ethernet distributing the high-speed Internet to all ten flats. The connection is via an RJ-45 DSL line, which I run to the router using a regular ethernet line (not a cross-over). I then connect the computers through the router via other straight ethernet lines.

When I connect directly to the incoming line, the connection remains stable. It is only unstable through the SMC Router (which previously worked fine when I ran an ADSL line in from an ADSL Modem at another location). This also is happening with or without the firmware upgrade.

What is going on??!! Many thanks.