PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question to journalists
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2004, 16:06
Dantruck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too many questions to answer easily so, if I may, can I offer a little advice to one and all on the obviously touchy subject of journalists.

First, always remember you are under no obligation to answer a journalist's questions. Likewise you are not required to return their calls, acknowledge their emails or do anything else if you don't want to. If you respond, even to say "no comment" you are choosing to do so. In that case be aware anything you say will be taken down and may well be used against you, etc, etc. DO NOT be concerned that you will appear rude or unhelpful by not responding.

Secondly, ask yourself: does your organisation have an appointed spokesperson, and have employees been given instructions on what to do if approached? If you are that employee I suggest you ask your boss for clear guidance on how to handle media enquiries in the case of, for example, an accident involving one of your aircraft. As an editor I have lost count of the number of genuinely concientious and helpful employees who have been hung out to dry by their employers for telling the truth. Owners and senior managers are very good at inventing rules on talking to journalists just at the moment something goes wrong, and not before.

If anyone has a genuine question about journalists and journalism I will try to answer it here, or via PM if you prefer. Similarly, if you're having a problem with the media I will try to offer you advice...all for free, gratis and for nothing.

Why am I doing this? Well, maybe it will prove to some people in here we are not all a bunch of non-thinking non-caring, ground-huggers

Don't all rush at once

Dan