PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Being a pilot and having a family
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2004, 14:37
AerocatS2A

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Do you have a wife/partner already?

I think an important point is to make sure that you are both going into this with your eyes open. It may help to have a conversation along the lines of, "This is what I want to do, it will probably involve us moving from state to state (or whatever) every couple of years and eventually I will be spending a week or two away from home at a time, when I get back I'm going to be tired and useless for the first day at least. I may never make as much money as we'd like and I certainly won't be making much to start off with, in fact, you may need to support me to some extent. My career will consume me and it MUST take precedence over any career or job that you have."

If you can both accept those terms honestly then you can have a happy successful marriage. If she has a problem with any of those things then you will inevitably have troubles with your relationship.

It may sound harsh or selfish but you just need to find someone who's desires are compatible with yours. Marrying a lawyer or doctor may not be a great idea!