PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Eagle - And 'Global Beagle - Around Britain in a Virtual Autogyro'
Old 4th Sep 2004, 09:39
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
J.A.F.O.

What in heaven's name gives you the right to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do with their lives?
I agree entirely. However, I'm not remotely surprised that some people think that a record attempt, or almost any similar venture, turns a person into public property. I've been there...this all takes me back a bit. On a very, very, very much smaller scale, many years ago I decided to walk around the whole coast of Britain. I meant it to be just a private thing, but I needed money, so asked the local paper if I could write articles about it for them, and gradually everyone got to hear of it. Next thing I knew I was being told (not asked) that I was going for the women's record ("What record", I asked), and had people picking arguments as to my route, what constituted "coastline" and so on. When I said I was doing it for fun, didn't care about records, and would give up if I felt like it, people were horrified. When 11 months later I finished, and said no, I didn't have any great sense of achievement, but it had been fun; and no, I wasn't about to do any more as I had better things to do with the rest of my life....well, reactions were strange, to say the least. And when two days later I refused to do a long trip for a TV interview, as I'd just moved house and had had enough of the whole business, reactions became thoroughly hostile.

So, JAFO, I no longer expect the world, or the people in it, to make a lot of sense.