PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Balanced Field Length
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2004, 01:19
john_tullamarine

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
MFS' comments on interviewing unfortunately are right on the mark. Many interviewers know not much more than the interviewee and, on occasion, far less... which makes things hard for both parties... particularly as we get older and suffer fools less politely than we did as youngsters ....

On the one hand, an imperative (often seen with pilot interview processes) is to weed out those who ought not to have got to the interview stage (except for the misplaced value of their innovative CVs)... hence the use of canned question and answer ...

On the other hand I recall an interview for an engineering job many years ago where the principal interviewer (who became my next boss and from whom I learnt a lot ...) asked not one straight forward question ... all the questions were thought provoking.

As he confided some months later over a coffee .. he hadn't been terribly interested in the specific answers so much as the thought processes which the to and fro discussion on each question revealed.

Mind you, I did find one question .. along the lines of "tell me a bit about supercharged gas turbine engines" and the subsequent discussion on engine design and operating envelopes interesting ...