PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Positive rate" callout
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2004, 01:19
Old Smokey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I work for an airline that, in my humble opinion, has far too many redundant 'standard calls', however, in the case of this topic, again IMHO, I think that they got it right.

The basic philosophy for all cockpit actions is that the PF initiates all calls for configuration / thrust changes, and the PNF, after verifying that the call is reasonable, SILENTLY carries out the action.

The gear retraction process goes like this -

(1) The PF, after silently verifying 'ground break' visually, IVSI alive, RA increasing will call "Gear Up"

(2) The PNF, after silently carrying out the same verification, silently selects gear up. Both pilots silently monitor that the gear does indeed fully retract.

(3) If the PF has omitted to call for gear up when all indications are that it should have been, the PNF will call "Positive Climb", and again with increased emphasis if ignored.

(4) If, following item (3) the PF makes no verbal response, Pilot Incapacitation is assumed, and subsequent actions by the PNF will be in accordance with this scenario.

I didn't invent it, and I don't endorse it just because my airline uses it. I like it because it works well in line with the best thinking on the Silent Cockpit concept, good CRM, clear division of duties with all configuration changes at the PF initiative, and good Crew Incapacitation management.

P.S. Is there really a Malaysian airline where the PNF makes uncommanded gear retraction? Surely you jest!