PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Web Check-in - worthwhile?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2004, 20:57
Self Loading Freight
None but a blockhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Virgin Web Check-in - worthwhile?

I'm off to sunny SFO on Saturday, crammed into the back of VS19 in what my e-ticket says is Torture Compartment 41E. Oh, that it's come to this!

I'm coming back on VS20 on Sunday week, in an equally gruesome container for my mortal remains.

However, while trying (and failing) to reassign my seat via the Virgin website, I noticed that you can check in before you leave home online. As I've often enjoyed the truly awesome queues at LHR for pleb class before now, this sounds like an offer too good to refuse... but, reading the rubric, it seems that there's still some paperwork to do at the airport.

Is it a good thing to do? Will I end up in an even longer queue, as hundreds of Web-savvy punters try to get their bags into one tiny chute while an implausibly cheerful clippie minutely checks the docs? Or is it worth ignoring this and doing the usual sad business of trying to get there early enough to avoid the rush (ho ho)?

And is there any chance of getting my seat changed? I doubt it, the company that arranged my flight only managed to get the seat by the skin of its teeth.

It was going to be United, so I'm not going to complain too much. But some advice about strategy would be very welcome.

(I can still change my meal preference for the flight back. I'm an omnivore, but there are a few interesting alternatives - anyone gone through the menu?)

R