PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vs - Vmp - Vmd
Thread: Vs - Vmp - Vmd
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2004, 13:48
Old Smokey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawk 37,

Good work, but accept my caution that most simulators offer a good approximation of general performance characteristics, but beware of extracting any empiric performance data from them.

I have had the pleasure of co-ordinating and fine tuning the performance aspects of 3 simulators for aircraft in airline service for fidelity acceptance with the relevant authority, and in each case, almost all of the performance data needed correction, some of it relatively minor, some of it major - an example is 6500 feet difference between 1 Eng Inop absolute ceiling in the simulator and the real aircraft. This latter correction was, in the end, verified by taking the actual aircraft out, shutting one down, and observing the results. (The AFM was exactly right).

Much of the problem arises from the simulator being developed at the same time as the aircraft before any verification by flight testing. In fairness to the Sim manufacturers, this is necessary so that crews may be trained prior to taking on the real aircraft.

The worst case that I saw was a simulator which had stall characteristics that my Grand-Mother could handle, full back-stick testing in the real aircraft showed it to be a wildcat.

BEWARE!