PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Loss of Tail Rotor Effectiveness, recovery etc
Old 2nd Sep 2004, 12:20
the coyote

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
lotsahueys,

Back to your original question of how to recover.

If for whatever reason or definition you don't have enough anti torque (tail rotor thrust) and you have lost directional control (ie spinning), the only solution is to reduce torque. Whether it be LTE, or low RRPM, or no more pedal left, or a control failure or a severed drive shaft, the Torque is winning over the anti torque.

Hindsight is always easy, especially when you are sitting on the ground and not in the saddle at the time. But when I watch that video of the 206 I personally think the pilot was quite slow to take corrective action, ie it spun a few times prior to recovery.

In that particular situation I would have immediately lowered the collective fully and if that wasn't enough to stop the spin also rolled the throttle off. (ie removed ALL torque if I had to), then regained speed and brought the power back in. It looked like he had sufficient height to be able to do that.

None the less, full marks and well done to the pilot for recovering safely, it would have got the blood pumping no doubt!

Last edited by the coyote; 2nd Sep 2004 at 12:31.