PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multi Traning, Baron too much?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2004, 11:21
lotusbridger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took my FAA commercial and multi (with IR) in the same day.

The weather deteriorated, cloudbase was 1200 feet initially ashore and thunderstorms developed by the time I got to instrument stuff in the Seminole.

Foggles, who needed them, the only time saw anything outside was when a lightening flash went off.

The examiner brought me in for a VOR (on the field) approach, accepted the clearance from ATC after he had routed us through the radial at 60 degrees and queried why I called a missed approach later at 1600' over the airfield with everything hanging out, power off, maximum pitch down and zero on the VSI;

To land on the runway I would had to have removed the wings!

2nd approach was more managable and we broke out to see the runway in front and slightly to the right.

Max crosswind and the wrong engine out on the ILS was the last challenge. I wasn't proud of that landing during the last foot.

Debrief. The examiner said he would not be happy being up there in the same airspace as me flying on instruments (we WERE the only people mad enough to be there ) and then promptly signed me a pass for both checkrides and congratulated me.

MORAL
It is probably more important to choose a school that lets you fly in real instrument weather than to learn in a more complex aircraft.