PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Yarmy Gets New Helicopters to Bolster Defence (and Wirraway's Over the Hill.....)
Old 2nd Sep 2004, 09:38
itchybum

Location: Over 250 posts so far. Perhaps I support Pprune by posting regularly.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Harveygee, I never said that the Yarmy always fastrope, did I? Of course they don't but they do have the option too. With a fixed wing aircraft they do not. If the Yarmy need to go somewhere in larger numbers and perhaps less tactically, they call the Raff who are kind enough to supply a C-130 or DHC-4, if they haven't already knocked off for the day.

For the YAyDF, who don't have the cash to buy EVERYthing they want, this is, I presume, considered to be the balance of which you speak.

I noticed the Porters were sold. But with a speed of less than 120Kt and a capacity of 8, there wasn't much they could do that a helo could not unless you value high angle, beta-mode rocket salvoes closer to vertical than a helo could achieve. They reckon it came in handy in forested areas of 'Nam.

I do not know the actual reasons they were sold. There are enough ex-army Porters still dropping meatbombs around the world that they obviously didn't run out of hours.

The NH90 will carry more troops further, faster than the porter fleet. But I cringe whenever I see something Euro added to the inventory.