PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Balanced Field Length
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2004, 08:15
Cap 56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
john_tullamarine

It is not about semantics at all.

If you do not see that, you have not understood anything and I am not surprised.

Boeing publishes simplified tables, the real calculations are done by computer and if you know how the software is programmed it becomes all very clear.

Any performance engineer who would give Alex Whittingham's definition would fail his exam.

Alex Whittingham

By using the charts, the way you describe; you only calculate the balanced MTOW and associated V1for a particular runway under certain prevailing conditions and that was not what the original question referred too.

As such you do not answer the question hence you fail the question on the exam.

If the question would have been “calculate the max TOW for a particular runway” the Alex argument is correct. However balanced take off does NOT mean that at all times you are limited by the ASDA and the Brits are wrong if they claim this to be the case.

REf: Pierre Volosin, Boeing Performance engineer.

So finally there seems to be a British definition that is NOT accepted on the continent as is the case with many other issues that are not accepted on the continent.

I have had to deal with this attitude before and sometimes there is simply no way you can get trough their thick scull until an incident happens and all the **** comes to the surface.

I am sorry I have to put it like this but that’s the way it is.

(word deleted - site policy)

Last edited by john_tullamarine; 2nd Sep 2004 at 22:50.