PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Arann gwy-wat-ltn services
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2004, 08:09
Eh Hello?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everyone's missing the point - to develop routes to support business development you need consistency and flexibility. If I'm a Galway businessperson and, on the back of a daily Birmingham service, start to build my business in the UK, I now have to constrain my business travel to fit in with a reduced schedule. Similarly if I used to do a day's business in London. I suffer because the airline treats the service as a regional and seasonal leisure route.

Galway and Waterford had never had it so good, and the passengers reacted by travelling more, avoiding the connections over Dublin and supporting their local airport. With Lingus trying to cut back on connections at Dubiln, Arann are perfectly positioned to capitalise on regional traffic to the UK but instead elect not to take the bait - high load factors, developing demand and a poor alternative over Dublin are all features which make routes such as Birmingham and Manchester attractive and worth exploiting. History on these routes is meaningless as the market has fundamentally changed with better access, lower fares and higher numbers travelling.

Sure the leisure passenger will move to a day the flight operates but, IMHO, not operating every weekday year round does not instill a vote of confidence from a business user's perspective.

My philosophy in my own line of business is never to take a step back if the signs for going forward are good, otherwise you waste the energy you have spent getting to where you are.