PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Loss of Tail Rotor Effectiveness, recovery etc
Old 2nd Sep 2004, 06:38
Ascend Charlie

Received 261 Likes on 122 Posts
OK, Fan, so if a pilot allows his RRPM to bleed by pulling too much power, and the aircraft settles or even crashes, is that a case of LEE (Loss of Engine Effectiveness)?

Of course not.

It is a pilot error, by demanding more than the system can produce. Mind you, under some conditions it is pretty hard to avoid going for that extra pull, but if it is outside the aircraft abilities, it is not LTE.

LTE would be defined as a situation where the tail rotor should be producing sufficient thrust, with plenty of pedal travel available, but suddenly decides not to.

A bit like a car going around a corner - it should be within its capabilities, but in the case of one car (I think it was a rear-engined Ford) it decided instead to roll over. Did Ford commission an investigation into bad roads? No, they removed the car after Ralph Nader showed the public that it was unsafe at any speed.

Even Mercedes Benz redesigned their baby car after it failed the moose swerve test.

I have over 6000 hrs on the 206 and ran out of pedal, knowingly, many times. Mostly on powerline inspections, or else film jobs. I always knew when i was approaching the limit, and just flew out of it. Whether the relative wind was from 330, or 080, or 160 or straight up the choof, it never behaved in an unpredictable way.

But I cursed it soundly for not being able to hang in there.