PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAT II app -737
Thread: CAT II app -737
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2004, 21:33
CaptainSandL

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post
Cat IIIb in a 737

Just to answer a previous query raised about Cat IIIb on the 737, it has been available for about a year.

To be honest I don’t know what the physical differences to the aircraft are but on the flightdeck you will see an extra MFD button labelled “C/R” (Clear / Recall), this must be pressed before every Cat IIIb approach to check the systems. The result will be a message on the upper DU which will either say “RECALL” which is OK or "NO LAND 3" or "NO AUTOLAND". Note Cat IIIa is still possible with a NO LAND 3 advisory. In this case green "LAND 2" annunciations will appear on both outboard display units. When established on the Cat IIIb approach you will get a ROLLOUT armed annunciation underneath VOR/LOC in the same way that you get FLARE armed under G/S for a Cat IIIa. More details at
www.b737.org.uk/flightinsts.htm

Note, aircraft with this mod are able to autoland with one engine out – v. impressive!

Cat II in a 737

To answer the question of the thread; all 737’s are certified for Cat II manual landings but it is up to the individual operator to approve and train their crews to do this. None of the 737 operators I have flown with have chosen to do this and to be honest I am grateful.

S & L