PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My cheap route from 0 to fATPL!
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2004, 20:25
birdlady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Wanabe

Im actually in the same boat as you are at the moment. Ive just completed my JAA PPl here in South Africa and unfortunately they went bankrupt shortly after I completed my test so Ive got to go to Ireland to do my CPL. After much consideration and humming and hawing Ive decided to stay in SA for the next couple of months to complete my ATP's through distance learning. The only school that offers ATP's in Ireland is Pan Aviation and they are only distance learning. They apparently are very good and a lot of their course material is through Bristol (which Im sure youve heard all the good reports about). They are more expensive (typical really) but the refresher courses are held in a lot smaller classes (so Ive heard) therefore more individual attention is given and you dont have to go to the UK for your exams and medical. If you contact PTC - Darragh Owen is an excellent chap to speak to and very helpfull. I was told by one of the instructors at PTC that the JAA ATP is not recognised by the IAA ( I dont know why but not surprised). Having said all this, have you considered South Africa for your PPL and hour building? The actual flying is slightly more expensive than it is in the states but if you factor in accomodation and living expenses it actually works out cheaper. There are some excellent schools here and the weather is good. If you would like some more info on schools in SA please pm me.

Hope this all helps.
Birdlady
www.panaviation.ie
www.flyinginireland.ie