PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The IR: EFIS vs Iron dial twin?
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2004, 11:27
Wee Weasley Welshman

Received 225 Likes on 86 Posts
Wellllllll, not always.

A new fleet means new snags that the engineers haven't seen before. Its means new parts inventories and new certification and approval issues. It can mean new simple problems like the cockpit gets unbearably hot or cold. It can mean new complex problems like propellers shearing off in flight (I'm thinking the new Grob Tutors).

The aircraft might be trickier to handle as its a composite airframe designed by computer to be highly efficient. My experience on this type of light aircraft suggest they can be 'slippery' to handle in terms of rapidly increasing IAS and interesting crosswind characteristics.

But I'm no designer or engineer nor indeed now a practicing instructor.

Speak to the students at the FTO in question and do it informally away from management. I suggest simply walking into their dining hall (if its the FTO I think it is) and plonking yourself down next to a load of striped student pilots at lunch. They'll give you the lowdown in 2 minutes flat.

Whatever.

Using a training aircraft equiped with 'EFIS' is NOT going to impress anyone in an airline interview and possibly if the first interview you have is for an air taxi or neight freight job they may mark you down on it.

Good luck,