PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2004, 09:52
meadowbank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WALTER
Your messages, both open and PM, had given me the distinct impression that you considered that the crew of ZD576 had carried out a dangerous manoeuvre, and I expended considerable time and effort trying to explain why I felt that this was not the case and why I thought your suggestion that the crew were using a range readout from portable DME or IFF equipment at or near the lighthouse extremely unlikely. My post, perhaps somewhat ill-considered, was an attempt to muster expert opinion on this particular aspect. I wanted to get, to use your own words, "people to come forward with the crucial information" that would kill off the idea that they may have been using DME of some kind to judge their turn.

I did not quote you or AM Day - belly up is a perfectly normal phrase used by all in aviation to describe an aircraft banking away from something, but which the layman may not recognise. I put it into parenthesis to indicate that rather than in speech marks to indicate a quote. That I linked you with Day is because that is where your argument seemed to be placing you; it was my subjective view.

I apologise for ruffling your feathers, but your personal attack is both distasteful and unwarranted.

I apologise if I have inadvertently broken a convention, but, having rechecked the info on Pprune about PMs, there is nothing to indicate that their content should not be revealed or their content referred to. Indeed, the phrase you have used is that "it is considered unfair by many......". I see a PM as being no different to a telephone call with what is, after all, a stranger.

I find your comments about cricket and fair play unreasonable, given that the rules for PMs don't appear to be written down anywhere. It may be your job to moderate posts and to point out the appropriate etiquette, but this should not extend to making patronising comments.