PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - News from Trumpton
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2004, 01:01
Mikeyd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QUOTE"

"When the nurses, who work much longer hours for far less pay, go on strike then I might have some sympathy for firefighters."

Lets get some facts right before we rant, OK.

I accept the "basic" pay of a nurse is lower than the "basic" pay of a firefighter. However a firefighters pay is just that - basic, no unsocial hour pay, no weekend or night allowance. Whereas a nurse is entitled to all those. If a qualified nurse worked the same shifts as a wholetime firefighter (Nights, weekends etc) they would actually be on more money. This is a FACT, check it if you don't beleive it. Also the weekly hours of a firefighter are more than most other occupations. (including a nurse)

I have also had to clean up vomit, got covered in blood and other bodily fluids whilst holding onto a screaming casualty, trapped in a car with bits missing, although I admit I haven't wiped s..t off anyones arse. I have also had violent p*ssheads throwing bricks at me while trying to do my job. So what's your point.

I for one was not lead up a garden path, I didn't honestly think I would get 30K (no intelligant FF thought that). But I was willing to fight for what I thought was right which is exactly what you yourself mentioned "extra responsibility without pay" for years we have taken on many new responsibilities without pay, we were merely asking to be paid for it. I was hoping to get perhaps about 26K.

Regarding "whinging", not me pal, sounds like you are doing the whinging, I am just pointing out some true facts.

Lastly remember the New Labour slogan:

More Teachers, More Nurses, More Police.

What they didn't show was this bit:

Less Firefighters, Less Army, Less RAF, Less Navy.

Traditionally many members of the services looked for a job in the fire services on retirement (In fact they had prefferential treatment on applying), however with less of those jobs in the future, many ex service will be looking elleswhere.