PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Standard questions about a career in aviation
Old 31st Aug 2004, 21:53
bertie777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One piece of advice I can give you, is that if you want it enough, then you will take whatever comes your way! If your into saying 'I want to fly a 747-400' then quite frankly I have to be blunt and say - it's not going to happen (would be nice, but very unlikely) I'd like to think that all us wannabes agree on this point, and lets face it, it's best to come straight to the point.

How long have you actually wanted to become a pilot?

For most of us on this forum that fall into this category, I think I can safely say it is something that comes naturally and, it's something that you would give your right arm to do! Me for instance, this dream has been 17 years in the making! So if you pose the question is it for me, the n I whole heartedly agree with FFP in saying - you will know if it's for you.

With regards to if you get the opportunity to train on wide bodies, it's like working for EUJet and asking if you will be trained on Concorde (when it was in service!) The answer, is you have to learn to walk before you can run! If an airline you work for has wide bodied jets, then ultimately when you gain the experience, you will qualify for training on the larger airliners!

Good luck, and all I can say is don't be picky - beggars can't be choosers, as they say!

P.S Virgin do't have any A340-500's only 300 and 600 series!

see: http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/gb...leet/index.jsp