PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Standard questions about a career in aviation
Old 31st Aug 2004, 20:00
shaun2985

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for replying, to the two of you..

FFP,

I worded that question a bit incorrectly... I DO think that a career in aviation is something that I'd want to pursue. I just wanted to know if I would be successful given my credentials.

For the time being, I'm staying in my UAS for the next two years(as a ground branch member). There are a few guys who aren't pilots (failed the medical or whatever) in our squadron hoping to go on to IOT next year to join ground branch trades such as medical, engineering, and the Regt. For now, I'm happy going along to town nights, doing a bit of flying and AT, and drinking cheap beer with no committment to join!

I heard the situation was somewhat different a few years ago... if you failed the medical, you weren't admitted into a UAS.

BigGrecian,

I think I understand now.... flying short-haul is a neccessary ritual for new pilots to accumulate experience and flying hours (unless they actually want to stay in short-haul)...

How difficult would conversion be from flying, for example, an Easyjet 737, to a Virgin A340-500? Is every new pilot given the opportunity to learn on wide-bodies once they've knocked up a considerable number of flying hours?

Cheers for your help