PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Mountain Rescue
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2004, 14:49
Big Tudor
Alba Gu Brath

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another reason you could be lacking in contributions is the unerring modesty of most MRT guys. Don't laugh, stick with me on this one. My short contribution to MRT was at St Athan. Fantastic time had down there with some varied countryside for exploring, both horizontal and vertical. Everyone on the team was first class, although the consumtion of alcohol would have equalled the GDP of a modest country! However, trying to get them to engage in the old "pull up a sandbag and tell us a story" game was never easy, unless they felt there was a serious learning opportunity to be had. Most of the guys had been early on-scene at Lockerbie but very rarely mentioned it.
Same when I was at Kinloss. Some of the guys on the team there had been out on some pretty horrific calls but would very rarely share any stories.

My memories of MRT involve copious quantities of alcohol, not always for numbing the senses, and trying to keep a calm head when called out on the Brecon Beacons in January to recover walkers who believed jeans and trainers constituted suitable survival clothing!