PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Mountain Rescue
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2004, 12:57
la calda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wub, thanks for joining in. Mid seventies means we could have crossed, were you ever in Jock Land at that time?

Trusting this is a semi private forum though moderators may take exception to this anecdote (family may ID the incident if reading). If you do, remove by all means but hope it can stay.

Most haunting incident I attended was a fatality in Arran. Civi hillwalker had fallen a large distance on Goat Fell. Team were called out to assist mid day on day 1 and found him on a sweep of the glen about 24 hours later. No surpise in finding a fatality, there had been plenty before and plenty more to come. Post mortem showed considerable injuries. What troubled me most, for a long time afterwards, was that there were clear signs he's lived for a time after the fall (blood stained hanky that he'd tried to clean himself with). Didn't really worry me at the time, but several months later started to have bad thoughts about the poor guy stretched out on the hill knowing the time had come. I found out his name and background from the press report when we got back to ISK.

On a lighter note, local plods were so happy we'd found him and cleared up the incident that they paid for all the drink that night. A verrrrry good night was had in the Lamlash Hotel, made even better by the fact that the landlord at the time was ex MR.