PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair and BALPA/IALPA
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2004, 07:41
nighthopper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear All,

I was employed by Ryanair in the 1980’s when SIPTU tried a similar method to get staff to join the union They placed flyers in staff files encouraging them to join the union as this would be a solution to all their problems. This generated a large amount of discussion amongst the staff however it was widely believed that this tactic was more to protect the working conditions of staff in the national airline than a concern over the working conditions in Ryanair. Now as an outside observer I wonder if similar tactics are behind the current campaign. Are trade organisations more concerned with upholding working practices in other airlines than their concern about an individual airline? Is the industry really going to benefit from this concerted campaign?

On this forum there appears to be a belief that the SLF do not know the full impact of choosing an LCC when they book their flight. This is a dangerous misconception. When I book a flight I look at all the options as do most of the people I know. Price, destination, baggage allowance, in-flight service, safety all comes in to play then my decision is made. All this is done from the comfort of my home through the Internet.

The staff in Ryanair and all airlines will make their decision based on personal circumstances not perceived working conditions and comments made by people who have never worked in their company. Many of my previous colleagues have gone on to have very successful careers both within Ryanair and more in other companies.

If this is a global fight to protect the conditions of all airline personnel then declare this as the objective. Do not treat your customers with contempt and believe that they do not make an informed choice when booking a flight. There may come a time when conditions imposed by an airline are unattractive that SLF will not use them. So far I do not believe that this watershed has been reached although it may be coming close.

Good luck to all, safe flying and my we the SLF of this world continue to have the ability to choose the carrier, type of service and destination that has opened up the world of travel.