PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Perfect Air Tours 707s
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2004, 06:49
1970s Spotter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 707-321 with a flower on the tail was 9M-AQD of Southern Cross Malaysia, it returned to STN some years later as N714FC in Perfect Tours colours.

The first time I went to STN as a kid was in Nov 75, got off the train at Bishops Stortford and discovered there was no bus service to the airport, so I walkled all the way. Once at the apt. there was NOTHING happening, so I walked round to ATEL (the nose-to-nose hangar, can't remember the number, 4 possibly) where the kind watchman there let me go o/b a 707 N705PA and a Young Cargo Britannia. Walked back to the terminal in the dark, another YC Brit came in and taxied over to ATEL and shut down straight away. Luckily I discovered a bus that took me back to Bishops Stortford...and home to Sarth Lunnen.

Despite this I was hooked by the place and went many, many times subsequently, sometimes on foot, sometimes by bike. Built up a good friendship with ATEL who always let me go out on their ramp and inside any planes they had in - old 707s, CL44s, Britannias, Viscounts etc etc.

Happy Days

Last edited by 1970s Spotter; 31st Aug 2004 at 11:59.