PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - News from Trumpton
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2004, 01:13
Mikeyd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:

"Mikeyd,

With only newspaper reports and what I've read here to rely on, I can't claim any reliable knowledge of the subject, so please tell me if I'm barking up the wrong tree. You say that fire fighters cannot work on their last day before duty, yet I'm sure I've read about some having day jobs while they're on nights. Obviously that would be against the rules you mentioned, and would prevent getting a good day's rest before the night shift, but does that mean it doesn't happen?

BCH"

Sorry for late reply, been busy.

In answer to your question, those are the rules in my brigade. I don't know if anyone breaks the rules, but I'm sure it happens sometimes, but unfortgunately all rules get broken. I know of some military types who work as security staff etc. when on leave, also people selling their cheap NAAFI fags etc. I know it's no excuse but it happens. Unfortunately there are some bad apples everywhere in society, do not tar everyone with the same brush. The vast majority of firefighters I know take their job seriously enough not to turn in for work unfit for duty, our lives and our co-workers lives depend on it. I would not be happy if my oppo wasn't capable enough to drag me out of a fire.

Incidently the RFU part timer strike breakers you all seem to praise have no limitation to the amount of work they can do before turning out to fires in the middle of the night. (possibly knackered after working all day) So please be consistent with your criticism.