PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I will NOT pay for a T/R
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2004, 16:56
scroggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The old route of instructing for a pittance was an honourable one - there's precious little money for anyone in the local flight school game, so it's perfectly reasonable for those who need experience to offer their labour in exchange for that flying. However, Ryanair et al are making very serious profits, and their company executives are salting away very handsome pension funds. There is absolutely no reason why they couldn't and shouldn't pay for the type training of their chosen employees - except that you lot will save them the bother. And then you'll work for next to nothing while they make a profit on your back.

If you want to work for Virgin/Monarch/BA etc, and expect your type ratings to be paid for when you join, and to get a pension, sick pay, time off, allowances, etc, you may be disappointed when you get there as your willingness to work for nothing is affecting the market right now, and the big boys are starting to take notice - witness BA's recent 'tightening' of their pay and conditions, and recruitment of already-typed DEPs.

I have my contract, and I retire in the not-too-distant future, so I guess I shouldn't really care what your prostitution does to this industry, but I do. We at Virgin fought like hell to improve our lot, through BALPA, and we succeeded. The thoughless actions of those who wish to get into aviation at any cost are undermining all that good work.

Just remember, one day you'll have to explain to your children why your chosen career no longer pays a decent living wage. Were you part of the problem?

Scroggs