PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oct 9 - The real vote on the Aviation Reform Group
Old 30th Aug 2004, 12:57
Shitsu-Tonka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chronic

Is Michael Moore to be demonised because he believes he is being a true patriot and defending values that America is rapidly losing through the stripping of basic civil rights disguised as 'homeland security'? Or has he awoken the sleeping giant of the US - the so called 50% of the 50/50/50 vote (the 50 who don't normally vote)? I don't think Michael Moore should automatically be pigeon-holed as some sort of left-wing nutcase - the only reason he is even heard in the US is because of his success - ironically. At least in Australia it hasn't yet come to needing enormous personal wealth to still have a say. The vote in November will answer the question about how the US really feel about the Bush neo-con agenda. Judging by the protests today in (admittedly Liberal [in the US context] leaning) NYC (which Bloomberg attempted to stymie) the results will see the end of Republican administration for the next term. (Hopefully the second domino after the defeat of Howard in Australia)

Hostile? Yes - apathy doesn't facilitate change. Engagement does. Through engagement comes knowledge and the consequent anger and hostility. (Thoroughly annoyed is an excellent cornerstone for hostility BTW)

Whilst I agree that media reporting, especially on topics one has intimate knowledge of, appears atrocious, it is still incalculably better than what you can get in the US, thanks partly to continued pressure on keeping the cross-media ownership rules in place in Australia. When it comes down to it, we all have to get our information from somewhere - I don't think any media reporting is without some sort of bias (the BBC excepted IMHO). The best you or I can do is absorb as much of the information from a variety of sources and make a balanced judgment.

My balanced judgement: there is overwhelming evidence for me to remain hostile - stay angry, and argue that Howard and his cronies do not possess the integrity to continue to govern Australia.

As has been said here already - governments get voted out not voted in.

This government needs voting out. What I know about the deception, ignorance and obfuscation on Aviation policy from John Anderson alone requires it, if that is indicative of the policy handling capabilities of this administration in the future.