PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hard Core Category A?
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2004, 11:32
FLI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nigel Osborn said:

“For example when we did marine pilot transfers to LNG tankers in a S76A++, we had to have full single engine capability from beginning to end. Sikorsky recommended an approach & take technique & weight which we stuck to. We had 2 pilots, about 500-600 lbs fuel, sometimes less on very hot windless days, and took 1 or 2 marine pilots. At the weights we used, I could have done the whole flight on 1 engine.”

Have readers realised that we are talking about a performance enhanced helicopter (from the original Cat A “A model”) that is designed to carry 14 people, with a range of 400 nm, but operating with 4 people and 120ish nm range to achieve “hard core Cat A”. This from a helicopter that, as GLSNight Pilot says “the A++ is, IMO, far superior to the B model” when referring to performance/payload.

I realise that this discussion isn’t about aircraft types but the requirement, or otherwise, of “hard core cat A”. The example just highlights the problems we face when operating to the regulations.

I understand the manufacture’s frustration with the regulatory authorities regarding engine risk profiles for helicopters, but isn’t it their remit to convince them that Cat A is unnecessary or produce something that will accommodate the regulations in realistic operating conditions?

JimL says,

“I am only aware of one poster in this whole discussion who was asking for PC1 Operations, at MCTOM (MGM), from any site!”

The definition of PC1 that was given by JimL at the beginning of the thread was,

“Performance Class 1 operations are those with performance such that, in the event of failure of the critical power unit, the helicopter is able to safely continue the flight to an appropriate landing area, unless the failure occurs prior to reaching the Take-Off Decision Point or after passing the Landing Decision Point in which cases the helicopter must be able to land within the take-off or landing area”

I have not been asking for PC1. We already operate to this requirement most of the time, but, at a huge disadvantage to payload.

I have been advocating a realistic “hard core Cat A” (Fly away OEI with no reject required).

If one reads through the thread one will see that I am not a lone voice.