PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oct 9 - The real vote on the Aviation Reform Group
Old 30th Aug 2004, 11:13
Chronic Snoozer

Received 333 Likes on 127 Posts
****SU-TONKA

Q1. Just the way the facts are presented, hence the MM comparison. I've no bone to pick with your point of view, I just don't feel quite so hostile toward the incumbent government. Thats not to say, as I have previously indicated, I don't get thoroughly annoyed being spoken to like a lowest common denominator by my PM.

Q2. Just as the media butchers aviation reporting, (hope that suffices Woomera as far as aviation referencing) so too the media sensationalises what it sees are the 'issues', whether we agree or not. Therefore before developing my point of view based on my beliefs, I need to believe the right 'facts'. Crikey hasn't this whole 'believe' thing gotten us into a lot of trouble?

The points you have raised are worthy of debate, I don't think the answers to the questions raised are simple. I would hazard to guess the goverment has a lot of support on asylum seekers issues among the silent electorate. It is an issue all over the world and I have seen a little of it here and there, particularly what works and what doesn't. They are bloody difficult decisions and the government will win friends and make enemies because of them.

If you visit Mike Moore's site, and those that counter his, it just ends up being a confusing game of my truth/your truth. Elections are fought like that unfortunately. I prefer to take the wider view and whilst I certainly don't agree with the government's policies in all areas, the litmus test says that Australia is in pretty good shape. Its not by accident, and I don't remember it being this good before. (Remember big picture stuff!)

For me the question is not whether its a duck. Its whether I'd rather have a goose.