PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAC pilots threatened with sack...PART 2
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2004, 10:10
Binoculars

Just Binos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I trust this thread is being forwarded by whatever means possible to the Signers. They need to know how long some people's memories are. Dodgy GA operators may employ them in the future because the operators know they have a slave who will cop any humiliation for the privilege of flying. It is probable that those dodgy operators are as far as the Signers will ever get.

Not all cries of scabs are genuine, and I have been abused by some from THAT year for my opinions, but this is as genuine a case as industrial relations provides, starting as it does at the bedrock of aviation, and the Signers here are the ultimate scabs.

I had previously listened to the stories about HA and assumed there were lots of vested interests putting both sides, making it difficult for an outsider to see the truth. This time it looks to me to be cut and dried, and I suggest the NonSigners attempt to find a labour lawyer who will work pro bono on their behalf. If you lose this case, industrial law will be proven to be a farce, invoking consequences so widespread as to affect possibly millions of lives.

The waterfront dispute was a kick in the arse for unionism because the unions blindly supported the corruption, thievery and legalised thuggery that characterised the wharfies. I for one had no problems with that result, even if I was a little concerned by the methods used.

This case is different. Unionism is on the back foot, their power base is dissolving as part of a natural cycle. It is my belief that this case is a typical example of why unions were formed in the first place. You are, quite simply, being screwed, and this is a circumstance where a union is what is required. Your current union appears to be uninterested, where it should be jumping up and down screaming blue murder.

You may all still think of yourselves as individuals who have no time for unions, and unions basically gave up on pilots long ago for that reason, but have another look at the situation and think again. I say again, unity will win this case for you.

Good luck once again.

Disclosure: I have never occupied a position in any union, and I am not currently a member of a union.