PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hard Core Category A?
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2004, 02:23
peter manktelow

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
To psuedonym or not to psuedonym , that is the question.

Hang in there Nick. I far prefer to know , the party to whom I am speaking. Unfortunately “pot shots” are part of the deal. In Australia we call it the “tall poppy syndrome” and it is a particularly nasty side of our Aussie psyche. When/if opportunity ever permits , I can better explain over a beer or three.

I guess the main issue I was trying to get across in my last post was that in my experience , the people who should know , don’t know. I am referring to the various client companies who use our multi engine helicopters , fully believing that they have 100% Cat A…or worse believing that Cat A gives them , as one previous post said , a 100% single engine capability on par with the airlines. And this ignorance also extends into other areas of performance as mentioned by Brian with his lack of suitable “accelerate distance required for when the failure is after CDP”. I was once reprimanded by a “goose” of a manager for questioning the company’s OEI definitions/performance and whether in fact the client was aware of what they were getting or not getting. So OEI performance is a subject “dear to my heart” so to speak.

The whole multi engine OEI situation is a very confusing subject. Just ask any keen young copilot who has recently been pouring thru the books. I thought I knew a few things about the issue but am continuing to learn , especially thru this medium. Not helping is changing and differing regulatory rules. Staggeringly ,within one regulatory group , there can be differing company rules..AND within a single company at different bases , there are different rules. Talk about the tower of Babel !!

You have convinced me that your argument is sound and statistically watertight. The only problem that still exists is that my “pucker meter” is still inordinately affected as I land and takeoff from the rig. Whether I am flying Brand X or Brand Y helicopters , THE CLIENT wants every fitted seat occupied and the boot , trunk , baggage compartment stuffed to bursting…..and they want to believe that no matter what happens…we can fly em home if it all turns wobbly.

Perhaps organizations such as OGP should be paying a bit more attention to the subject of educating their members on this subject.

Peter