PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Video of Aircrane Getting LTE
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2004, 01:06
Cyclic Hotline

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Safecom

Nice recovery.

Date: 7/15/2004 Local Time: 1800 Injuries: No Damage: No
Operational Control: Forest Service (USFS) > Region 04 Intermountain Region > Humboldt-Toiyabe NF

MISSION
Type: Fire, Water Drop (Helicopter Fixed-Tank) Other:
Procurement: Other:
Persons Onboard: 2 Special Use: Yes Hazardous Materials: No
Departure Point: Minden Airport Destination: Waterfall Fire

AIRCRAFT
Manufacturer: Sikorsky Model: 64E

NARRATIVE

While entering the Waterfall fire for a water drop, the pilots came in contact with a windshift, which resulted in the nose of the helicopter getting turned 90 degrees. They dropped the load of water, continued to turn into the wind and flew out of it. I am submitting this SAFECOM at the request of R-8 Helicopter Inspector Pilot. I did not actually see this happen.

CORRECTIVE ACTION

RASM Notes:7-26-2004, This incident is being investigated as an Incident With Potential (IWP). Preliminary information received from the flight crew was that this occurred at an elevation of about 5000 feet with winds gusting 20-30kts. and 1300 gallons of water on board. I'll update this safecom after the IWP is completed. 8-10-2004, The Investigation is complete and the report accepted. Recommendations were sent to the contracting officer to send to the contractor involved with this incident. The helicopter turned approximately 2 turns in under 15 seconds. the following recommendations were submitted to the contractor: 1) Contractor instruct the flight crew identifying conditions for LTE and how to mitigate these conditions. 2) Contractor instruct the crew on immediate and forthright reporting procedures to the USDA Forest Service personnel when an incident occurs. 3) Contractor instruct the flight crew on hover limitations and reporting procedures of any flight manual limitation exceeded. The cards for these two pilots were suspended till the completion of the report and written compliance by the contractor that these recommendations were covered with the flight crew. No Further Action.

Categories:
Hazard:Weather