PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2004, 23:00
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
Went out again on Saturday for some more circuits. Did about four with Richard and then I did another two on my own.

There was this guy flying a 172 who was going all over the place, both taxiing and in the air. This brought to mind two things:

1) Thats what I must have looked like three weeks ago.

2) Instructors (at lest here) are engaged in "experiential learning" in other words they let us keep screwing things up and stop us just short of killing ourselves or damaging the airplane.

Case in point was Richard springing a go-around on me at 200 feet. Muggins here decided to raise flap from 30 to 20 BEFORE applying full power - mistake number one. We sank about 100 feet because , not content with raising the flap 10 degrees, I inadvertantly pushed the swiitch all the way up and the flaps merrily retracted completely! - Mistake number two.

You need to watch the flap switch on some 150's as there are two separate types. One has the type with a set of detents for 10,20,30 and 40 flaps with an indicator next to it.

The other has a separate indicator at eye height on the left front strut and a three position switch. There is a spring loaded flaps down position and middle neutral position and a fixed - not spring loaded, flaps up position. So if you select flaps up and don't return it to the centre the flaps will continue going up. I've done this twice now and I have to watch it.