PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oct 9 - The real vote on the Aviation Reform Group
Old 29th Aug 2004, 22:59
DirtyPierre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, but Labor governments have not been financially inept. They spend there funds on social programs that the Liberals think are not required. Obviously you feel the same.

Labor governments don't send Australian troops to Vietnam, Afghanistan, or Iraq. In 1974, Labor stopped cconscription. This was widely cheered by me and my friends at the time. I didn't want to be another fatality in a futile war in a south-eastern country.

I remember trying to pay off aeroplanes and a house at 15% - 20% interest under Labor!!.
Actually, when the Labor government came to power at that time, interest rates were 13% and rose to 19%. The economy has an inertia that lasts longer than the term of a government, so saying one government alone causes high interest rates is a furphy. Any financial advisor will tell you this.

D.P. - Labor's hopeless economic skills are not an Urban Myth - It happened. I was there - were you?!.
I have been a voter since 1976, when I turned 18, so yes I was there. Labor with its bevy of Rhodes scholars as leaders, are not hopeless economic managers. They like to initiate programs of social concience.

I got my Uni degree without having to pay a cent for it. My children will be in debt for years to receive a similar education. How hopeless is that!

I work hard to self fund my retirement, yet my super is taxed at 15%. How fair is that?

Every service and goods I receive are taxed at 10%. No wonder the Liberals are such great economic managers. They introduced a new tax, that taxes everything! Even me with my Human Movements degree and my diploma in aviation can work out the economics there.

Not too many boat people when Labor was in government. Might be something to do with foreign policy and Oz-Indonesian relations at the time.

Medicare.....is being decimated by the Liberals. Even the AMA, normally big supporters of the Liberals, have publicly denounced the governments health policies. My father is a GP, as are my uncle, my brother and 4 cousins. Most work in the same practice and most will probably not vote Liberal this year, some for the first time, because of the governments determination to destroy our good public health system.

NAS.......been done to death, but this alone is a big reason for me not to support a Liberal government.

Enough reasons for a change. I think so.