PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Headsets
Thread: Headsets
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2004, 07:13
Carrier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The whole issue of ANC headsets is very fully dealt with on AVweb. Anyone considering the purchase of an ANC headset should go to www.avweb.com and check all the articles and data, including the reviews by Mike Busch. Then, as suggested by Mike, attempt to try the various headsets until you find one that you can afford and are comfortable with. Most of the major makers have their products available on their own or a dealer’s stand at major air shows. Pilot supply shops should also be willing to let you try them.
Get the very best ANC headset you can afford. The Bose is probably the best but I was unable to afford $1,000. After checking the AVweb material and trying the Bose and Lightspeed products at an air show in Toronto I bought a Lightspeed 20XL and have never regretted it.
I have used the Lightspeed 20 XL for several years. When it was about two years old a problem developed with the ANC. I returned it to Lightspeed under the warranty and received a replacement. All it cost me was postage from Ontario, Canada to Oregon, USA. Lightspeed Aviation stands behind its products and there are never any hassles over warranty repairs. While awaiting the replacement I had to use my original $80 non-ANC student-type headset. What a trial! It brought home to me just how effective a good ANC headset is.
Before moving to Africa early last year I decided I should have two good ANC headsets, one being available as a reserve is case the normally used headset should develop a problem and have to be sent away for repair. I took advantage of Lightspeed’s offer of reconditioned 25XL headsets. I have used the 25XL for over a year and have been extremely happy with it. The 20XL is kept in reserve but has been used from time to time by my boss since someone “borrowed” his old non-ANC headset last August. He is also very happy with the performance and comfort of the 20XL and is somewhat reluctant to return to using his old headset which he recovered last month!
According to the AVweb material the Bose seems to rely more for its effectiveness on the ANC as against passive protection. This is fine as long as the ANC is working. The ANC does fail occasionally in any make and being human we sometimes let the batteries expire. If either of these events should happen in flight the headset can still be used and the one with better passive protection will be more effective. Another advantage for the Lightspeed headsets is that they use two AA batteries. These are the same as used in a Mini-Maglite torch and Lowrance GPS so you only have to carry a couple of spare AA batteries to cover all three products.
In addition to saving your hearing a good ANC headset will make understanding radio calls much easier. I have flown in the Caribbean as well as in Africa. The accents of controllers and local pilots are often difficult to understand. In addition, some of the radios they use are not of the best quality so their transmissions are less clear than they should be. A good ANC headset makes life a lot easier.
Buying a good ANC headset was one of the best moves I have made in my aviation career.