PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Headsets
Thread: Headsets
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2003, 21:19
spectra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PPRuNers,

If I told you the law says that an employer needs to supply the instrumentalities to make a workplace safe and that medical research now claims that constant exposure to 70-80 db range causes long-term hearing maladies like tinitus (sp?) and that the 737 cockpit is 84-90 dbs, would any of you feel SWA should be buying our ANR headsets?

What if I told you that Don Renfro was fired by John Kramer from the Aeromedical Committee because he pushed for a study of the impact of noise in the 737 cockpit on SWAPA members. Kramer and Crum had a meal and Crum told Kramer SWA will not pay for headsets. Kramer said ok and told Don to drop it. Kramer even went as far as to change Don's RP article without Don's permission on the subject. And the board was presented with this information.

My point is this. SWAPA's mission statement says they should be on top of things that can hurt us. Why isn't the Association taking the lead on cockpit noise and the impact on SWAPA members. If it is harmful, SWA has a legal duty to provide at their expense tools for us to protect ourselves.

Or do you think we should all just pay $450 a pop every few years for the privilege of flying their noisy airplanes or go unprotected?

BTW, final fact, the AF has given disability ratings and payments for years to pilots. Many who flew the KC-135. The AF documents say that the pilots suffer from long-term hearing loss in certain freq. ranges and tinitus (ringing in the ears).

Guys, the noise and its negative effects on the human body over time is real. Fly with Dave Wirtala if you don't believe me.

The question is should you pay or the company. Right now the company has shifted the burden to you because our union has let them even though the law is on our side.