PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2004, 19:26
walter kennedy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I posted some while ago that the actual waypoint they were plotting was probably the distinctive rock that the lighthouse keeper pointed out to me – where they turned “all the time” – presumably not the lighthouse itself because it was residential at the time and it would have been a bit rough turning heavy choppers right over it. This has been represented at the inquiries and in numerous PPRuNe postings as a minor error (sloppiness?) on the part of the crew in plotting the waypoint some several hundred metres out; interesting how no RAF men from such flights has had the decency to come forward and clear this little matter up.
AND this is the nub of the problem - input from men who actually flew such flights (SH on this leg) would have been crucial. That no one cleared up the above waypoint issue is a sad reflection of their integrity IF THEY ARE AT ALL AWARE OF IT – come on “Campaign”, you need to talk to them. I know that such flights in such conditions were regular so some should be around and available for comment.
After 10 years, there should be no doubt whatsoever about their intended flight plan – what should have been the starting point for inquiries and informal discussion.