PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Mountain Rescue
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2004, 18:35
la calda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RAF Mountain Rescue

Prompted by an oblique connection to Station Guard Force Meals I'm wondering if there is any mileage in a thread of memories of the RAF MR Service. It's been going a long time and of course there are still five very active teams in the UK at present.

My own service was '76 to '79 at ISK. Most memorable event was Rescue 137 lifting a crashed Bell 212 off a frozen Loch Avon in the Cairngorms, circa March '77. Come to think of, it was often cold on those weekends out.

As I say, there are teams still active and I'd love to hear how things are done now. Similarly, there are still many legendary characters from the service active in the hills in one form or another today who may have contact with proone or prooners.

Finally for now, what does MR have to do with an Aircrew Forum? As has been stated already, forum is for ....and the backroom boys and girls without whom nothing would leave the ground. Army, Navy and Airforces of the World, all equally welcome here...... MR are definitely backroom boys (and girls now, probably). In fact they had two jobs in the service, one their own trade, the other as a Team Member. Let's hear it folks.