PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF officers to join gay pride march
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2004, 11:49
JessTheDog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw a photo of a Fg Off admittedly in the Mail on Sunday) walking along handing out sweets, hat off. Notwithstanding my comments above about the debate on this thread degenerating somewhat, some questions have to be asked:

1. Was this simply a recruiting presence or was it gay servicemen and women taking an active part in the march?

2. If this was an active participation in the march, in uniform, then what has happened to the QRs about "active participation" in political events, and on the occasions when uniform can be worn?

3. If this was an active participation in the march, in uniform, what will happen when I pitch up at a "Blair Out" or a "Stop the Defence Cuts" march, in light blue or otherwise?

I do not care about the private lives of those I serve alongside, and whatever manifestations do cross over into the public domain, for example, same-sex couples at Mess functions are no issue whatsoever. However, support of what is in effect a pressure group march, in uniform, run completely contrary to the ethos we have maintained over the decades of being neutral with regard to any public displays other than those along the lines of the Battle of Britain and Remembrance Sunday. Furthermore, if it is OK in one instance (ie a gay pride march) it should be OK in other instances of personal belief!