PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nationwide vs SAA
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2004, 09:02
George Tower

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting back to the topic and with no references to the literary world or Kylie Minogue, this comes down to what is fair competition.

The situation where a state run loss maker compete with private companies is in my view unfair. It is like an Olympic athlete that has sacrificed and trained hard for years running in race where the other athletes have taken performance enhancing drugs in the knowledge that they can't be disqualified. i.e. grossly unfair.

Reminds me of an old joke....

At CT international a Comair 737 was taxi-ing for take off behind an SAA aircraft. The SAA captain realised he had fail to complete some checks so asks ATC to accommodate him whilst he gets them done, after about 10 mins the Comair skipper gets on the radio and remarks "Excuse me Sir, but you do know that we have to pay for our fuel" - To which the SAA captain quickly responds " Yes I know, and you pay for ours as well!"

Says it all really, its not about being pro or anti South AFrica or SAA, more about whether you believe in the free market and fairness. I have to say that I do.