PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF officers to join gay pride march
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2004, 06:12
ghost-rider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't believe some of the comments by Spud, Proud and others.

BEagle and Blunty happen to say what a lot of us think ! That's our right ! I'm proud of it !

I left the RAF in 98 after 15yrs. Then, homophobia was SOP and the thought that any of the troops might be of that persuasion was virtually non-existant. The Danish and Turkish forces were the butt of all jokes ! (bad pun!)

When I left, I went to work for an airline ! Boy was I in for a shock ! Not the best place to shout about "hang them from the rafters" etc etc !

However, I learnt that these people were actually as capable as anyone else professionally, and you could also have a really good laugh with them. (in the majority anyway!). I'm happy to say some I now class as very good friends. Guess I'm a lot more tolerant now !

My point is though that HM Forces is a different ballgame. (bad pun again!)

It's primarily a macho-heterosexual environment, with deep suspicions of anyone that doesn't conform. PC issues do not have a place here IMHO.

The thoughts of the military blatantly publicising and proud of the fact that x percent of personnel are gay abhors me.

What goes on in private is one thing, but I don't want to hear or read about it. If it's consenting adults then it's OK I guess.

But please keep it quiet and don't be 'loud and proud' then everyone will get along better ! The fact that people may be gay and in the forces doesn't mean the whole world has to or wants to hear about it !!

This PC crap we have to put up with today has gone way too far !!

Oh and the abuse I'm getting from my ex-fish'ead mates who I took the p!ss out of mercillessly in the past is coming back at me with extreme prejudice !!

However, Proud said the following, and I applaud him for it ...
Maybe one day it'd be ok for me to post under my normal nic - without having to worry about people making a huge fuss about it. I just want to get on with my life, without having to worry about snide remarks and school-yard gossip.

Til that time, I guess I will do what I have always done, and not march in Mardi Gras, but at the same time, not deny it if anyone does get the guts to ask...
Great sentiments Proud, I wish you luck.

So to sum up though ... please don't be loud and proud ! You're officially allowed to do what you do, but the rest of us really don't want to know about it !