PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heli, non-heli (and even non-aviation) humour ...
Old 29th Aug 2004, 03:20
peter manktelow

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Humour in Helicopters

HIH

The Gladstone thread got me thinking. (Doesn’t happen often at my age) And also , Nigel’s underhanded swipe at my follicle disability…well , I thought it would be fun to launch a new thread with the subject being “Humour in Helicopters”….would also allow me to swipe back at Nigel !!

So here is a story

The setting is a very cold Tasmanian winter in the late 70’s. Hookway Aviation is still operating Enstroms and a couple of 206’s. There is a new crew in Hobart. Brian , Crow , Barry and Ian have gone to greener pastures. Nigel has been unable to lever me in to the Enstrom to do an endorsement. Of course now , I just would not fit…hair or no hair. (I am NOT fixated on my lack of pilosity…Brian , ya still doing your daily crossword ?)

Anyhow , Nigel gets a call out. We had the SAR contract at that time with the SES but it was the Police who crewed with us. I think this may have been one of those occasions when (Senior Constable) Keith Harper’s presence (and wonderful humour) were in evidence. Seem to recall it was some lost bush walkers up at Frenchman’s Cap. Crazy time to be bushwalking in middle of winter….snow everywhere ! Nigel gets up there ok and starts the search. Lousy weather. Now he has just joined the company from flying the North Sea in B0-105’s so he is used to pretty decent equipment.

We get a plaintive phone call from Nige that the interior of the 206 has been fogging up (no heater !) , he needs an attitude indicator (these were the days when primary Nav and only instrument (other than Alt./ASI) was a wet mag compass) AND there is not a decent first aid kit on board. !@@##$$ much cursing !!

Well Johnny Wilson and I sent him three envelopes.
Envelope 1 marked Heater containing 1 x box of matches
Envelope 2 marked Attitude indicator containing 1 x plumb bob
Enveope 3 marked First aid kit containing asprin and band aids

Nigel was not impressed. And although it seemed bl—dy funny at the time , the situation was pretty grim flying in poor viz and snow. Nigel did an excellent job and I seem to recall it had a good outcome with him finding the bushwalkers.

Please forgive me Nigel….after all these years…but there was absolutely nothing we could do but squeeze a bit of humour out of a bad situation.

Great days , eh

Peter