PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is going on with the airline business?
Old 28th Aug 2004, 19:21
Fester T Adams

in the real world LC is just a myth as there is always a cost somewhere its just smoke and mirrors and clever accounting.
Well I partly disagree with this & partly agree. Up to recently low cost in my country anyway was far from a myth compared to the other options I had. I've done very well & got to see many wonderful places out of FR's low cost policies thank you & they did live up to the promise of being low cost.

But now that competitive formerly full cost airlines have joined the fray & started to drive down their prices & increase routes to compete if not fully match with FR the scene is beginning to change.

Can I get a direct flight to the same or a close destination with a FR competitor without having to invariably connect at fog bound & therefore not totally reliable Stansted with no recompense if my flights are screwed up to circumstances beyond my control & the stress, worry, time, extra taxes, landing charges that this entails.

What are the extra charges & time to get to my destination from some out of the way airport rather than a more central convenient, notice how exorbitant the Stansted Express has become rather than a mere tube ride from LHR.

As FR think up of more cost saving devices the list will increase, should I want to bring hold luggage for example, how much will this add to my costs.

One thing sure with full cost airlines now having to follow the low costs costcutting to survive, the face of aviation for both employee & pax has & will continue to change forever. Gone is much of the exclusitivity, cossetting & pampering of old of staff & pax alike, in has come a dog eat dog world where only the fittest, leanest & most clever will survive, it only stands to reason that somebody unfortunately has to pay the price for this!